The University of Lagos Students Union Legislative Council (SLC) on Saturday 11th July, 2015 held the first sitting of the Honourable House for the semester/session at the Parliamentary Building located at the SUB. The sitting, which started at about 10am and ended at exactly 4.25pm had all the principal officers present and about 50 out of the 89 Honourable members of the House.
The Speaker of the House, Rt. Hon. Olusegun Jawosinmi gave the welcome speech and presented the Mace of the Honourable House to the members, while the Clerk of the House, Hon. Adeonipekun Adeyanju gave a report of the activities of the principal officers since the inauguration of the House on 23rd June, 2015.
At the sitting, several important issues bothering on the welfare of the students, the standing order of the House, the Faculties’ Legislative arm, the ULSU Vice President II (DLI) issue, the College of Medicine issue, and the formation of committees for the Honourable House were deliberated on.
The Resolutions of the House after all the deliberations are:
- That all Faculties should have a Legislative Arm;
- That every Course Adviser at all levels should have a minimum of a Ph.D;
- That all Zebra Crossings on the roads on Campus be respected by every motorist;
- That the Executive Arm of ULSU should appear before the Honourable House within 7 (Seven) days to give a Stewardship Account of its activities since the beginning of this administration;
- That the ULSU President – Com. Abiodun Martins be invited to tell the House the true picture his recent accident along Pako-Bariga road;
- That there shall be a ‘Parliamentary Ritual’, where the Mace of the Honourable House will be taken round the school for students to see, before the next sitting of the House – (no specific date yet);
- That the Constitution should prevail on the Boycott of the Parliament by the College of Medicine Representatives.
Other issues discussed but not resolved at the sitting include the Replacement of all the Mattresses in every hostel; the ULSU Vice President II (DLI), which was suspended till next meeting; the drainage system at New Hall, especially when there is rain; the inefficiency of UNILAG Ventures in circulating UNILAG Water to everywhere on campus promptly; the Cab and Shuttle drivers’ bad behavior, among other important issues.
The Honourable House also nominated and ratified members of its 7 (Seven) Standing Committees which are: Welfare and Academic Committee, which has 5 (Five) members; Social Committee, with 4 (Four) members; Sports Committee, with 4 (Four) members; Budget and Finance Committee, with 4 (Four); Inter-Governmental Committee, with 4 (Four); Ethics and Special Duties Committee, with 4 (Four) members; and the Transport Committee, also with 4 (Four) members.