Junior Secondary School student has been electrocuted in Benin leading to a protest by other students and residents along the Benin-Auchi highway, causing heavy vehicular traffic on Thursday.
The student, from Eyean Community Secondary School, Eyean, in Uhunmwode Local Government Area of Edo State, was simply identified as Benedict.
A witness told the News Agency of Nigeria that the incident occurred while pupils were going home at the close of school.
The witness said that the victim touched a naked cable and was immediately burnt beyond recognition.
According to the witness, a vehicle had knocked down an electricity pole, exposing the cable.
Pupils of the school were said to have accused the Benin Electricity Distribution Company of causing the death of their colleague, saying it did not take urgent action to fix the broken electric pole.
When contacted, the spokesman for the BEDC, Mr. Tayo Adekunle, said he had yet to receive a report about the incident from field officers.