Federal Polytechnic – Yaba College of Technology, widely known as YABATECH is the first polytechnic in Nigeria.
The institution was established in 1934 as Yaba Higher College. 13 years after, precisely in 1947, it was restructured to become Yaba Technical Institute.
However, since the establishment of YABATECH, the Federal Government has created more polytechnics. Almost all states have an institution of higher education offering courses at degree level or below, especially in vocational subjects.
Here are the 28 Federal Government owned polytechnics in Nigeria.
1. Akanu Ibiam Federal Polytechnic Unwana, P.M.B 1007, Afikpo, Ebonyi State.
2. Auchi Polytechnic, Auchi, Edo State.
3. Federal Polytechnic Ado Ekiti, Ekiti State.
4. Federal Polytechnic Bali, Taraba State.
5. Federal Polytechnic Bauchi, P.M. B 231, Bauchi State.
6. Federal Polytechnic Bida, P.M.B 55, Niger State.
7. Federal Polytechnic Damaturu, P.M.B 1006, Yobe State.
8. Federal Polytechnic Ede, Osun State.
9. Federal Polytechnic Ekowe, Bayelsa State
10. Federal Polytechnic Idah P.M.B 1035, Kogi State.
11. Federal Polytechnic Ilaro, P.M.B 50, Ogun State.
12. Federal Polytechnic Ile-Oluji, Ondo State
13. Federal Polytechnic Kaura Namoda, P.M.B, 1012, Zamfara State.
14. Federal Polytechnic Mubi, PMB 35 Mubi, Adamawa State.
15. Federal Polytechnic Nasarawa, P.M.B. 01 Nasarawa State.
16. Federal Polytechnic Nekede, P.M.B 1036, Owerri, Imo State.
17. Federal Polytechnic Offa, P.M.B 420, Kwara State.
18. Federal Polytechnic Oko, Anambra State.
19.Federal Polytechnic of Oil and Gas Bonny, Rivers State
20. Federal Polytechnic Ukana, Akwa Ibom State
21. Hussaini Adamu Federa Polytechnic, P.M.B 5004, Kazaure Jigawa State.
22. Kaduna Polytechnic, Kaduna.
23. National Institute of Construction Technology Uromi
24. Waziri Umaru Federal Polytechnic, P.M.B. 1034, Birnin Kebbi.
25. Yaba College of Technology, P.M.B. 2011, Yaba, Lagos State.
26. Airforce Institute of Technology (AFIT) Kaduna
27. Nigerian Army Institute of Technology and Environmental Studies (NAITES) Makurdi
28. Petroleum Training Institute (PTI) Effurun